Drake University (Des Moines, IA), is Division 1 in all its sixteen sports (nine women’s teams, seven men’s). Its mascot is the Bulldog, so called because a beloved coach brought his two pet Bulldogs to games. They play in a variety of different conferences including the Missouri Valley Conference (MVC), Pioneer Football League (PFL), Summit League, and the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC).Continue reading “Drake University – D1 Athletics”
Go outside and get enthralled by these true crime tales! Beat that Covid-19 Cabin Fever!
Are you someone that loves to listen to true crime podcasts while enjoying your daily commute, weekend hikes, or while you’re doing chores? I am the same way. I find myself completely captivated the minute I turn on my favorite podcasts like Crime Junkie or My Favorite Murder. I decided to make a quick list of local true crime stories and best hiking spots so you don’t have to!
Missing Midwest: Hosted by Liz martin, listeners get transported to the Midwest. The Iowa native dedicates her podcast to stories of those who have gone missing. For stories about Des Moines disappearances check out episodes:
- Missing John David Gosch – A 12 year old boy set out on his daily newspaper route, but no papers got delivered. When unusual men and a set of cars appeared, it looked like Johnny got taken, but the police see it differently. What actually happened to Johnny Gosch?
- Missing: Eugene Wade Martin – The 2nd disappearance in Des Moines area. Many believe this is in connection to the disappearance of Johnny Gosch. Many witnesses spotted Gene talking to a man right before he vanished decades ago. What happened to Gene Martin?
- Missing: Marc James Warren Allen – Marc went to go to a friend’s house to watch a movie, he never arrived. Is there a connection with all three missing Des Moines boys? Or did something else happen that fateful night. Find out now!
Missing in the Metro: Hosts Ross Peterson, Heather Burnside, and Sergeant Paul Parizek dive into unsolved murders in Des Moines, Iowa. Enjoy this 10 episode journey!
According to Kathleen Check, a psychotherapist in Chicago says “True crime provides a particular kind of escapism during the pandemic. Tuning in and following the specifics of a crime also creates a sense of being able to see inside the mind of a criminal, which create the mindset of: If I know how criminals operate, I can protect myself.” Have fun escaping and becoming a true crime expert while enjoying some of the great trials of Des Moines!
Go visit these classic Des Moines destinations:
- Sycamore Trail – This gorgeous 6+ mile trail is perfect for admiring rich wildlife and vegetation!
- Kruidenier Trail around Gray’s Lake – This beautifully landscaped trail leads you right into downtown Des Moines! There are so many fun activities to enjoy.
- Mark C. Ackelson Trail – This old trail used to be a coal mine that operated well into the 50’s! Consider this cool and long trial if you enjoy history.
- Neal Smith Trail From Center Street Dam – This is a 26 – mile multipurpose trail that extends from Des Moines to Big Creek State Park.
- Bill Riley Train – This short trail is an immersive and tranquil experience.
Check out All Trails for the rest of the top 20 trails of Des Moines!
Please enjoy this curated Des Moines inspired list while taking a break from being indoors! Enjoy that fresh air! If you liked this post please feel free to share with your friends!
– Maria Schmitz
We’ve all been there—curled up in bed thinking, “how in the world will I be able to go outside for a run in the freezing cold today?” Just the thought of pulling back the covers and stepping out of bed fills you with dread like no other. Instead, you find it easier to just roll back over and tell yourself you’ll start tomorrow.Continue reading “5 Ways to Stay Active During the Colder Months (even if you don’t want to)”
Staying active implies that you’re already active and exercising regularly. Getting active is the hard part and then things can get boring, but luckily this is Des Moines. There are plenty of great ways to start and stay having fun on your feet. Continue reading “7 Great Ways to Exercise in Des Moines”
Des Moines might not have any major league teams but there are more than enough minor league teams to make up for it. Des Moines is home to the Iowa Wild Hockey, Iowa Cubs Baseball, Iowa Energy Basketball, Iowa Barnstormers Football, and the Des Moines Menace. Needless to say there are sports for every fan in your family. From the typical baseball, football and basketball, there are multiple hockey teams as well as Australian Football (better known as a combination of rugby and American football.) But the really amazing thing about all of the sports teams in Des Moines is that the cost of tickets to their games won’t break your bank. Continue reading “8 Reasons Why Millennials Love DSM”